|Forgot password? Remember me|
|All years||Observers: 1333||Cards: 96709||Records: 5108032||Incidentals: 395266||Pentads: 12494 (72.14%)|
|2013||Observers: 605||Cards: 14863||Records: 772716||Incidentals: 63947||Pentads: 4747 (27.41%)|
|SummerMAP||Observers: 89||Cards: 195||Records: 11974||Incidentals: 15631||Pentads: 182 (1.05%)|
Conservation initiatives only make sense if you know the ranges of the species you are trying to protect. That is why SABAP2 is THE most important bird conservation project.
SABAP2012, SABAP2013, SABAP2014, ... and on and on into the future, are critical initiatives because they will help us understand how bird distributions are changing through time. We are trying to get as many pentads covered as possible each year.
SABAP2012 is at 28.45%. We set ourselves a target of getting past 30%. As you go on holiday, how do you find the holes in 2012 coverage?
• Go to the SABAP2 website sabap2.adu.org.za.
• Click on "coverage maps" in the second line of yellow words! The Google coverage map opens, showing overall coverage so far.
• Click on the little blue tab with the plus sign in it near the top right. The little tab becomes a big tab!
• Click on the little tick next to the word "coverage." The tick disappears, and so does the coverage, leaving you with a blank map.
• Click in the little box next to "2012 coverage." A subset of pentads gets coloured in red. These are the pentads which have at least one 2012 visit.
• Click on the little box with the minus sign in it, top right. The big blue tab disappears, and becomes the little blue tab you started off with!
• Enlarge the Google map using the zoom tool in the top left. It then looks like this picture!
• Click on the pentad you are interested in visiting. If it is red, it has at least one visit this year already, so choose a blank pentad. The code for the pentad gets show in the box below the map.
• Click on "Submit" and from there you can find the current birdlist for the pentad (if there are visits in previous years) and you can access the Google map for this particular pentad.
That looks like a lot of steps, but it is quick and easy.
We hope this will revolutionize your summer holiday! Please help us get SABAP2012 to 30% coverage, and remember we start with a blank coverage map for SABAP2013 on 1 January 2013.